Temporary Car Insurance

Insure a car for 1 - 28 days

couple with car looking for insurance

Click here now to compare temporary car insurance quotes!

Members: British Insurance Brokers Association

Temporary Car Insurance for foreign licence holders

One common question is 'can drivers from other countries apply for UK temporary car insurance?' If these drivers come from the European Union then the answer is yes, and applications are also welcome from motorists from Commonwealth countries with similar driving conditions to those in the UK.

Driving licences can be accepted from the following countries:

Australia; Austria; Belgium; Bulgaria; Canada; Croatia; Czech Republic; Denmark; Estonia; Falkland Islands; Finland; France; Germany; Gibraltar; Greece; Hungary; Ireland; Italy; Latvia; Lithuania; Luxembourg; Malta; Netherlands; New Zealand; Poland; Portugal; Republic of Cyprus; Romania; Singapore; Slovakia; Slovenia; South Africa; Spain; Zimbabwe.

Regretfully we know of no other source of short term insurance for the USA or indeed any other country outside this list.

How long can a car be insured for?

Any number of days between just one, and 28. If you need a longer period you just take out another policy to coincide with the end of the existing one.

How to fill in the application form

The form is short and easy to complete. You will need to provide your driving licence, passport and registration details of the car you wish to insure.You will be asked for a postcode; please put in the postcode of your main UK address; a friend's house, or hotel, that you are staying at is acceptable.

Which drivers can apply?

As a minimum drivers would have to have a current full driving licence, as well as a current passport. The minimum age is normally 23, and the maximum 75, but this would vary according to other factors; if in doubt it would be as well to try for a quotation, and see whether or not the application was accepted. Needless to say, a fairly clean driving record as well as an absence of criminal convictions would make the application far smoother. Acceptance cannot of course be guaranteed and any offences of a serious nature within the last five years would almost certainly lead to a refusal to insure. However it only takes a minute or so to get a quotation so it's worth a try - just click the link above to get started.

Which cars can be insured?

All insurers have a list of cars that can be covered and these include most popular cars on UK roads. Expensive cars with a value in excess of £45,000 are unlikely to be accepted; but it may be worth trying anyway provided that you are aware that £45,000 would be the maximum you would receive if the car was totally written off. It would have to be one that was initially purchased and currently registered in the UK, with no modifications apart from those made by the original manufacturer. It could be used for the social, domestic and pleasure purposes of the driver, as well as driving to and from business, but not for the carriage of any goods or persons for hire or reward. As usual, no dangerous goods or illegal materials could be carried, and all hazardous areas such as nuclear power stations, military installations and oil refineries should be studiously avoided. Your journey must begin and end in the UK so this type of insurance cannot be used for importing or exporting a vehicle.

Is foreign travel included on the policy?

Cover for travel throughout the UK is comprehensive. Driving through the other countries of the EEC is covered but this is the equivalent of third party only. You can however upgrade to comprehensive cover for a small extra premium if you wish.

Is roadside assistance included?

This is available as an optional extra.

Visitors from abroad very often wish to travel around to see the sights and visit UK friends and relatives and this could be an excellent way of providing them with transport using a car that you own yourself or which can be borrowed from friends or other relatives, and could be a lot cheaper than using a hired car - if a hire company could be persuaded to rent one to a foreigner, which some will not. In the meanwhile why not check our driving guide for foreign visitors to the UK?

Click here now to compare temporary car insurance quotes!

Tried to get a quote but had problems?

Please and well do our best to help!

Home       Privacy Policy       Terms and Conditions       Contact Us       Disclaimer       About Us

temporarycarinsurance.ws is a trading style of Prudent Plus Ltd of Booths Hall, Booths Park, Chelford Road Knutsford Cheshire WA16 8GS, which is registered in England, company number 10104295.

Prudent Plus Ltd are members of the British Insurance Brokers Association, John Stow House, 18 Bevis Marks, London EC3A 7JB; Membership number 007759

Quotes are provided by Sky Insurance Services Group Limited with whom we have a trading agreement only and who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority no. 469048. We May receive from them a commission for each policy purchased; this will not affect the premium you pay for your policy in any way.